Walking down King Street in Newtown, one of Sydney's oldest suburbs, one's senses can become completely overwhelmed. Despite its colourful boutiques and a seemingly endless array of second-hand book stores, it's the tastebuds that really get the work-out with the strip's vast line of culinary delights. I've walked King Street many times and have counted over 140 pubs, restuarants and cafes along it.

These never stay static either. Constantly changing, upgrading, renaming and expanding one can always expect a new gastronomic adventure to greet them when visiting King Street.

Well, I'm determined to end that and achieve the near impossible: to feast from every restaurant/cafe/bar on King Street and live to tell the tale.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Zanzibar

@ 323 King Street, Newtown

Years ago my friend recommended I check out Zanzibar, the little orange bar on the opposite corner of the station. She highly recommended the rooftop. So, in we went one day to check the place out. I pass this place every now and again on my way home. It's usually dark, filled with people staring out on the street or playing pool and has a line of smokers or drunk teens loitering around the alley beside it.

We went in late one night, close to midnight actually, and walked straight through a couple of packed floors. The place was happening, the crowd was so-so. Ending up on the rooftop, we were sad to hear the food had stopped being served, though managed to squeeze a bowl of fries out of the servers. Alcohol followed. It was a nippy night so we didn't stay long, but from what I hear they keep it going until the very early hours of the morning. It seemed like a busy place and the view from the top floor was stunning. Did it scream, visit me, visit me again? Perhaps I'm getting old and this "happening" place is beyond me but sadly my answer is no. 

Times hit: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment