Walking down King Street in Newtown, one of Sydney's oldest suburbs, one's senses can become completely overwhelmed. Despite its colourful boutiques and a seemingly endless array of second-hand book stores, it's the tastebuds that really get the work-out with the strip's vast line of culinary delights. I've walked King Street many times and have counted over 140 pubs, restuarants and cafes along it.

These never stay static either. Constantly changing, upgrading, renaming and expanding one can always expect a new gastronomic adventure to greet them when visiting King Street.

Well, I'm determined to end that and achieve the near impossible: to feast from every restaurant/cafe/bar on King Street and live to tell the tale.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Pizza Piasso

Note: Pizza Picasso has now moved down the road and taken over the pizza spot on the Newtown side of Sydney Park. It's new home is Shop 5/654 King Street and means extra seating space and a fancy schmancy larger logo. 
Happy pizza-ing.



Shop 5 / 503-511 King Street, Newtown

Until recently, this was much larger. It had a dining area and a takeaway section where you could order a scoop of ice cream either for dessert or to eat while you waiting for your pizza to be cooked. Now, it's been reduced to a couple of stools outside and the kitchen.

This evening I ordered a pizza on takeaway off the internet. Seems their system is still in the works however as they decided that my order should be cooked immediately instead of the two hours after I had ordered it. Needless to say, over an hour earlier than expected I heard banging on my door. Not good. At first the delivery guy was annoyed as I had made him wait (I was in the shower at the time) outside and had left a substantial number of calls at my door. When I explained to him I had ordered it for the following hour, he was apologetic. I accepted the pizza early and we both went out merry ways.


Tonight's dinner? Picasso Club. A combo of chicken, ham, turkey, swiss and bacon topped with a layer of cranberry sauce (this came in a separate tub so as not to turn disgusting). And for dessert, banana and sour cream pudding with butterscotch sauce. Despite the unexpected service, the food was magnificent. The pizza was rich and filling and the dessert was so addictive I had to pry myself away from it. With other interesting topping titles like Blue Nude and Thunder and Lightning, I'll be checking out some others in the future - just not via online ordering.



Times hit: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment