Walking down King Street in Newtown, one of Sydney's oldest suburbs, one's senses can become completely overwhelmed. Despite its colourful boutiques and a seemingly endless array of second-hand book stores, it's the tastebuds that really get the work-out with the strip's vast line of culinary delights. I've walked King Street many times and have counted over 140 pubs, restuarants and cafes along it.

These never stay static either. Constantly changing, upgrading, renaming and expanding one can always expect a new gastronomic adventure to greet them when visiting King Street.

Well, I'm determined to end that and achieve the near impossible: to feast from every restaurant/cafe/bar on King Street and live to tell the tale.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Coopers Arms

@ 221 King Street, Newtown



One of the earliest closers on King Street is Coopers. I'm not too sure why as it's no closer to residential (in my opinion) than the rest of the bars on King Street. Nevertheless, I've been refused alcohol at Coopers as early as 11.30 and kicked out of the bar at midnight. Whatever, let's get onto the food.



I've been here once for food and twice for alcohol. They don't have my favourite alcohol behind the bar so that's already a heavy blow to them. The food however is good but EXTREMELY pricey for a bar. A bangers and mash cost me around $20 and though was more than enough for me, I wouldn't have to fork so much out at any other bar on the street for that meal. My friend ended up getting spaghetti as she was on a cash diet, that set her back near the $20 as well.

In terms of atmosphere, this place is nice. It's a little dim on the top, but it's got a nice balcony and downstairs there's always something going on from music to trivia. But with so many other bars on offer, why should I bother? Sorry Coopers, but that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Times hit: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment