Walking down King Street in Newtown, one of Sydney's oldest suburbs, one's senses can become completely overwhelmed. Despite its colourful boutiques and a seemingly endless array of second-hand book stores, it's the tastebuds that really get the work-out with the strip's vast line of culinary delights. I've walked King Street many times and have counted over 140 pubs, restuarants and cafes along it.

These never stay static either. Constantly changing, upgrading, renaming and expanding one can always expect a new gastronomic adventure to greet them when visiting King Street.

Well, I'm determined to end that and achieve the near impossible: to feast from every restaurant/cafe/bar on King Street and live to tell the tale.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Good Wok

@ 587 King Street, Newtown

Good Wok confirmed two things I love about Chinese food. 1. It's cheap and 2. It's fast. This tiny diner is hidden behind a sliding door and serves up all your typical Asian dishes from chow mein to laksa and then some. On a tight budget and desperate to get home asap, I order a "special box". It's $7 of meat/vegie and rice goodness. Just choose between beef, chicken, pork or vegies, then choose one of 10+ sauces to douse it in and sit and wait. 

Less then five minutes later, a girl comes round with a bag and hands me my order. It's heavy. I look inside and ontop of my meal, I've been given that complimentary bag of prawn crackers. One word: score!

At home, the meal is warm and just what I need. Sure, it's nothing special and nothing I couldn't have whipped up myself with the bother and the ingredients, but for $7 it's a pretty good deal. The sauce is glorious, the vegies substantial - although I'm not partial to the stumps of bok choy of which there were quite a few - and the meal polished in under 15 minutes.

Times hit: 1

1 comment:

  1. That's my husband's favourite takeaway for the same reasons: cheap, fast and good.

    ReplyDelete