Walking down King Street in Newtown, one of Sydney's oldest suburbs, one's senses can become completely overwhelmed. Despite its colourful boutiques and a seemingly endless array of second-hand book stores, it's the tastebuds that really get the work-out with the strip's vast line of culinary delights. I've walked King Street many times and have counted over 140 pubs, restuarants and cafes along it.

These never stay static either. Constantly changing, upgrading, renaming and expanding one can always expect a new gastronomic adventure to greet them when visiting King Street.

Well, I'm determined to end that and achieve the near impossible: to feast from every restaurant/cafe/bar on King Street and live to tell the tale.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Alberto's Pizzeria Restaurant

@ 589 King Street, Newtown



Tucked quite a way down King Street is Alberto's Pizza. I was met at the door with an elderly Italian man (Alberto himself perhaps?) who casually welcomed me in. Wondering in, this pizzeria is replete with Italian flags and memorabilia, making it feel like an Italian home. Being a party of one my order was small, a taste test if you will. One Margarita pizza to go. 


I was told it wouldn't be a long wait. It wasn't. About 10 minutes later dinner was served. I ate it up in a matter of minutes the moment I arrived back home. It looked burned on the top, which was a little disappointing, but in a strange turn of events, worked to its advantage. What had happened was a layer of cheese had infused itself between the burned top layer of cheese and the base making it quite a treat. The cheese was awesome, the size perfect (a small) for one and the service wonderful and friendly. What let it down was a lack of consistency. Of my eight slices of pizza, in only two could I taste the oregano and garlic. Overall, for a $8 grab and run it was a good experience.

Times hit: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment